Labels

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride



Release Date: October 12, 2010
Published By: Henry Holt and Company
Hardback/342 Pages
Meet Sam, just your average guy rocking that fast-food career.
Enter Douglas, a powerful and violent necromancer. Douglas immediately recognizes Sam as a fellow necromancer - which is news to Sam - and he's none too happy to have a competitor in the crowded paranormal scene in Seattle.
Now Sam has an undead friend on his hands and a hot werewolf girl for company. With just one week to find a way out of Douglas's clutches, can Sam figure out how to use his mysteriously latent powers?


If you're not someone who enjoys massive amounts of awesomeness, buckets of sarcasm and comedy, and truck loads of just pure entertainment, this book probably isn't for you. Oh, who am I kidding? This is probably something you'll want to read even if you ARE one of those freaks who doesn't like (insert aforementioned list of book characteristics). This book was only in my possession for about two days, and I already have it ranked in my list of top ten favorites.

"Hold Me Closer, Necromancer" by Lish McBride is a Young Adult/Paranormal novel starring the lovingly witty Samhain Corvus LaCroix, or, as you'll probably refer to him as throughout the book, Sam. Sam is your typical college drop out, flipping burgers and goofing off at some run down fast-food joint. He has two good friends, Ramon and Brooke, who work with him there (along with some unlike-able add on character, Kevin, but I like to pretend he doesn't exist). That is, of course, until he gets attacked by some creeper named Douglas who promptly informs him that he is a necromancer (please feel free to use google now and look up what that is if you don't know...). Without spoiling anything, the rest of the book is more or less about his discovery and coping with the fact that he is what he is. It's enjoyable.

I REALLY liked this book. I was walled up in my room just pouring over this novel. Seriously. I'm not kidding. I starved in there. No food for two days? I walked out of my room/fortress with a growling stomach that could rival a hibernating grizzly bear. But anyway, it was really good. It had some action, some sarcastic humor, an interesting, not so overly complicated plot, and relatable, likeable characters. What really got me hooked on it though, was its lack of overbearing and cliche romance. If any of you are as tired of this stupid 'Average girl/boy meets hot/sexy/dangerous/creepy/obsessive/possible murderer boy/girl and falls in love' crap, then you'll like this. The romance is there, sure, but it's subtle and not detracting from the plot. So I like it. And, I'm sure you viewers will too!

Lastly, I would like to stress that if you do not buy/check-out this book, you will be glitter-bombed. Hard. So please, go read it. I know you'll like it if you're a reader. And if you're just someone looking for an action or sports book to read for English class so your teacher thinks you're doing something... read it anyways.

~Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment